The 10th Annual Around Cincinnati Christmas Special
The 10th Annual Around Cincinnati Christmas special will air on Sunday, December 21 from 7-9pm. The program will revisit songs recorded in Cincinnati Public Radio’s Corbett Theatre over the years, as well as from wonderful CDs by talented local musicians. There will be readings and a couple of new holiday essays by Rick Pender and Dave Papin. Listeners will also hear a few new songs by the Comet Bluegrass All-Stars, Zak Morgan, and one song written by Irv Rosen and recorded by Ed Moss, Lou Lausche and vocalist Pam Ross in 2004.
- The show begins with the traditional reading of “A Visit from St. Nicholas” by bluegrass legend Katie Laur
- Michael Burnham reads from Dylan Thomas’s “A Child’s Christmas in Wales.”
- Bruce Comer and Greg Procaccino enact a scene from Playhouse in the Park’s production of “A Christmas Carol.”
- Dave Papin reads a heartwarming essay about a personal Christmas experience.
- Kate Fadick shares one of her poems, “Nativity.”
Songs in Hour #1:
- Ellery – Christmas Time is Here
- Katie Reider – Silent Night. Katie drove down from Columbus to record this song in the Corbett Studio for the first Around Cincinnati Christmas special in 2005. She passed away in 2008.
- Greg Schaber – Angels We Have Heard on High
- Michael Chertock – It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- Daniel Martin Moore – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Raison D’Etre – Light of the Stable
- Cat City – Sugar Plum Fairy Blues
- Faux Frenchmen – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Over the Rhine – One Olive Jingle
- Stuart Holman/Chuck Adair – Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland
- Actors from Cincinnati Shakespeare Company enact a scene from their production of “Every Christmas Story Ever Told (And Then Some!)”
- George Ella Lyon reads her poem, "O Tannenbaum."
- Dr. Herbert Woodward Martin shares one of his poems, “The New Year Accomplished.”
- Rick Pender reads an essay entitled, “Mistletoe & Holly.”
Songs in Hour #2:
- Lisak & Rowe – On Christmas Day. - Recorded this fall for this Around Cincinnati special.
- Larry Nager – Cincinnati native now living in Nashville – performs a Christmas medley on guitar:Silent Night, Merry Chaos, and Christmas Bells.
- Maria Valdez from the Cincinnati Opera – Ave Maria
- Catacoustic Consort – Puer Natus in Bethlehem
- Cincinnati Pops Orchestra – Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
- Rosie Carson/Lucas Wozniak – I Saw Three Ships
- Rob Allgeyer Organ Trio - Count Your Blessings
- Phil DeGreg Trio – In the Bleak Midwinter
- Lisa Biales – Carol of the Bells
- The Bluebirds – Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- Zak Morgan – Angels We Have Heard on High from his new CD, Christmas, produced & recorded at Ric Hordinski’s studio The Monastery.
- Ed Moss – One Wish for Christmas – with bassist Lou Lausche and vocalist Pam Ross. Written by Irving H. Rosen and arranged by Ed Moss. Recorded in 2004.
- The Comet Bluegrass All-Stars – Miracle of the Wheat