Before the NAACP, before the National Urban League, there was the National Association of Colored Women. The NACW is America's first national black organization, founded in 1896. And Cincinnati has a connection to history, with a local chapter, the Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs.
The historic organization in Cincinnati was founded in 1904 providing vital services to the community. In 1925, the women of the Federation purchased a home at 1010 Chapel Street in Walnut Hills designed by prominent local architect Samuel Hannaford. The home, known as the "clubhouse," served as a community gathering place and even a boarding house for women newly arrived from the south.
Today, the women of Federation have joined with a fellowship group, A Few Good Men, to hold weekly breakfasts at the "clubhouse" at 1010 Chapel Street. A Few Good Men have been instrumental in making needed repairs and renovations to the century-old home, and they are now celebrating the installation of new hardwood floors.
Joining Cincinnati Edition to discuss the history of the Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs and the work of A Few Good Men are Federation President Tabra Goodrum; Secretary Joyce Cotrell; A Few Good Men President Samuel Abubakr; and Xavier University History Department Associate Professor Christine Anderson PhD.
Listen to Cincinnati Edition live at noon M-F. Audio for this segment will be uploaded after 4 p.m. ET.
Never miss an episode by subscribing to our podcast: