foodborne illnesses

Health officials have determined that a type of bacteria found in food left at unsafe temperatures is the cause of an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness that struck 647 people who ate last month at a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant in Ohio.

Between July 26 and July 30, customers of a Chipotle restaurant in Powell, Ohio, just north of Columbus, complained of food poisoning and diarrhea after eating tacos and burrito bowls there.

How To Steer Clear Of Foodborne Illnesses

Aug 7, 2018
e coli bacteria
Wikimedia Commons

Early this summer there was a multi-state outbreak of E. coli from romaine lettuce. That was followed in late July by a massive recall of products including Goldfish and Ritz crackers due to potential salmonella contamination. And just last week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service issued a public health alert about dozens of beef, pork and poultry salad and wrap products that may have been contaminated with the Cyclospora parasite.