Downtown Cincinnati Road Closures This Weekend
Traveling in and through Downtown Cincinnati this weekend could be slightly challenging because of two different construction projects.
Starting Friday at 7 p.m. and continuing through Monday at 6 a.m., Third Street will be closed between Main and Broadway so crews can install tracks for the streetcar system.
Suggested detours from the city:
- One through lane of Main Street will remain open and local access to businesses, residences and parking will be maintained from Sycamore, as well as pedestrian access. Motorists traveling to Third Street will be detoured either north or south via Broadway, depending on their intended destination.
- For motorists heading north on Broadway, the detour will be west on Fourth, south on Walnut to Third Street.
- For motorists heading south on Broadway or exiting U.S. 50/Columbia Parkway, the detour will be south on Broadway, east on Pete Rose Way, south on Mehring Way, north on Joe Nuxhall/Main Street at The Banks.
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) will also be closing all southbound lanes of 71 at the Lytle Tunnel starting Friday at 9 p.m. That will last until Monday at 6 a.m.
Detour information from ODOT:
- Through traffic: I-71 south to westbound State Route 562/Norwood Lateral (Exit 7) to I-75 south (Exit 7).
- Local traffic: I-71 south to Reading/Gilbert exit (Exit 2) to Reading Rd. (south) to Central Parkway (west) to Race St. (south) to Third St. (west) to I-75 south.
- For motorists traveling to I-471 from I-71 south: use Reading/Gilbert exit (Exit 2) to Reading Rd. (south) to Central Parkway (west) to Sycamore St. (south) to 5th St. (east) to I-471.
It is part of the $30 million dollar project to upgrade lighting, repair concrete and tiles, and modernize the mechanical and ventilation systems in the tunnel. ODOT also said cameras and a fire detection system are being added to improve safety.