Roebling Bridge Closed "Indefinitely," And Other Weekend Detours You Need To Know
** Update, Monday, March 26, 3:00 p.m: Officials told WVXU that the Roebling Suspension Bridge won't reopen until June. This story as originally published on March 23 follows. **
Kentucky officials say crews are still working to insure the safety of the Roebling Suspension Bridge for vehicles following a car accident there late Tuesday night.
In Tuesday's accident, the impact distorted and cracked a section of the bridge added in the 1890s, and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is in the process of completing an analysis of the necessary repairs, according to a release issued Thursday.
On Friday, state officials issued a statement saying the pedestrian walkways would also be closed. The paths had remained open after the accident, but following an increase in foot traffic, officials decided to restrict all access. The restriction will remain in place until repairs are made. "The KYTC asks that pedestrians and motorists please respect the barriers placed on the walkway and roadway," the organization said in a release.
Other Weekend Closures
Other road closures this weekend include West 7th between Washington and Madison for Braxton Brewery's three-year anniversary party. This stretch of road will be blocked off beginning Friday, March 23 at 1:30 p.m. to Sunday, March 25 at 8:00 p.m.
On Saturday, March 24, beginning at 11:30 a.m., the following Downtown streets will close for the March for Our Lives Walk:
- 7th Street: closed between Central Avenue and Walnut Street
- 8th Street: closed between Elm Street and Central Avenue
- 6th Street: closed between Walnut Street and Elm Street (though remains open for hotel access)
- 5th Street: closed between Race and Vine streets
- Plum Street: closed between 9th Street and George Street
- Elm Street: closed between 6th Street and 8th Street
- Race Street: closed between 9th Street and 5th Street
- Vine Street: closed between 5th Street and 8th Street
All above streets will remained closed until approximately 1:00 p.m. Saturday.
Looking ahead to next week, 3rd Street between Scott and Greenup and Court Street between Park and 3rd Street will be closed Wednesday, March 28 at 6:00 p.m. until Friday, March 30 at 7:00 a.m. for Opening Day In the Cov.