16 People In Cincinnati Federally Charged In Third Wave Of Gun Violence Reduction Initiative
Law enforcement officials announced 16 federal gun crime indictments in Cincinnati Thursday. All are charged with illegal possession of a firearm, mostly due to a prior felony conviction.
Acting U.S. Attorney Vipal Patel says the arrests are part of a months-long collaboration between several local, state and federal agencies.
"Using their expertise and resources to help us focus our efforts by identifying and building federal cases against the worst offenders," Patel said.
The 16 arrested range in age from 21 to 48.
Police say the charges are unrelated to a shooting last weekend at Smale Riverfront Park that left two people dead and three injured. There have been 212 shootings in Cincinnati so far this year, resulting in 39 deaths.
ATF Assistant Special Agent in Charge Alicia Jones says they want the community to know these crimes are taken seriously.
"If you are possessing a firearm and you are a prohibited person, the federal government will be reviewing your case," Jones said.
Patel says more than 50 people have been arrested on federal gun charges since last fall, as part of a gun violence reduction initiative. He says using federal charges is a key part of deterring violent crime.
"The statutory penalties in federal court and the sentencing guidelines are often more severe than in state court," Patel said.
Patel says gun violence decreased temporarily after the first two waves of the initiative.
The people arrested in the most recent wave of indictments are:
- Kendall Black, 30
- Daniel Bryant, 36
- Nygel Coach, 31
- Mashi Colvin, 26
- Sa-Thon Evans, 40
- Marvin Ferguson, 39
- Carl Godfrey, 21
- Darious Hillman-Carter, 22
- Brandon Hubbard, 31
- Michael Jackson, 37
- Leonard Ligon, 32
- Dallis Malone, 37
- Matthew Moye, 48
- Carlito Riley, 23
- Kiontay Riley, 24
- Timothy Stuckey, 31