A new Quinnipiac University Poll shows Democratic Former Vice President Joe Biden is the only Democrat in the race who would beat Republican President Donald Trump if the election were held today.
The poll shows 52% of the Ohio voters surveyed prefer Biden, 42% Trump. Biden is more moderate than many Democratic presidential candidates. But pollster Peter Brown says this isn’t an indication that Ohio has become a red state.
“He has a natural constituency. Mr. Biden considers himself a blue-collar kind of guy. Ohio is definitely a blue-collar kind of state. And they mesh together quite well," Brown says.
The poll shows voters who consider themselves Independents prefer Biden 55% to 32%.
The other top Democratic candidates are tied with Trump.
- Trump held a 46% to 45% lead over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders with 45 percent.
- Trump has a 46% to 45% lead over Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
- Trump and California Sen. Kamala Harris were tied a 44% apiece.
- Trump and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg were tied a 44% apiece.
- Trump has a 44% to 43% lead over New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker.
The poll finds the 58% of Ohio voters say that are better off financially today than they were in 2016 while 22 percent say they are worse off financially.
Trump received a positive approval rating from 43% of the voters polled, while 52% of voters in the survey disapprove of Trump.