Historic Gathering: Reviving A Clubhouse For Women With The Help Of Friends
One of the oldest African-American women's organizations is the Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, established in 1904. The women supported their community by establishing daycares, feeding needy families and awarding scholarships. Then in 1925, the founders purchased a 17 room home in Walnut Hills, built by Cincinnati architect Samuel Hanaford, known for Music Hall and City Hall.
Today, the women's clubhouse on Chapel Street still stands and now, with volunteers from the fellowship group A Few Good Men, they are working to restore the historic home to its glory. Here to discuss their collaborative effort and the historic importance of this women's organization are Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women's Clubs Exhibit Chair Joyce Cottrell; Ohio Association of Colored Women's Clubs First Vice President Johnnie Huston; and A Few Good Men Project Coordinator Samuel AbuBakr.