Beginning Saturday you'll need to use 10-digit dialing if you're making calls within the 937 area code. The change makes way for the new 326 area code, launching March 8.
The change means all calls, including local calls, made from within the 937 area code will require dialing the area code plus the seven-digit phone number, or 1 + area code + the seven-digit phone number. Local calls need only the area code, long distance requires adding "1" before the area code when using a landline (mobile phones have the "1" pre-programmed).
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) announced the new area code for the 937 area in May 2018. The 326 area code overlay means new phone numbers in the 937 area code may be assigned 326 area codes beginning March 8, 2020. An "overlay" doesn't mean anyone's current area code is changing, just that additional numbers will have the new three-digit code.
The change is a result of running out of - or "exhausting" - unique seven-digit phone numbers within the region. The 513 area code is projected to reach exhaust in 2023.
The change means you may need to update devices using automatic dialing such as life-safety systems, Internet dial-up, voicemail services and security systems. You should also double check pre-programmed numbers associated with medical alert devices.
PUCO offers the following tips about the change:
- Your current telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- If you seek new phone service after March 8, 2020, you may be assigned a phone number with the 326 area code.
- You will need to dial area code + telephone number or 1 + area code + telephone number for all local calls.
- You will continue to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all long distance calls.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911. You can also dial three digits to reach 211 and 811, as well as 311 and 511, where available.